10 Functions Of Man O War Nigeria You Need To Know.
We hear of man o war every now and then but do we really know about man o war? If you are looking for information on man o war then you don’t have to worry as I have put together in this article everything you need to know about man o war.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What is Man o war?
- 2 When was Man o war established?
- 3 How did it start?
- 4 What is the purpose of man o war?
- 5 What are the benefits of joining Man o war?
- 6 What are the strengths of man o war?
- 7 What are the functions of man o war Nigeria?
- 8 10 Functions Of Man O War Nigeria You Need To Know
- 8.0.1 1. TO ENLIGHTEN NIGERIANS ON NATIONAL ISSUES
- 8.0.2 2. BUILDS UP PUBLIC SENTIMENT TOWARDS THE NIGERIAN FLAG
- 8.0.3 3. PROVIDES EDUCATION FOR NIGERIANS CONCERNING DEMOCRATIC RESPONSIBILITY
- 8.0.4 4. HELPS PROJECT A POSITIVE IMAGE OF NIGERIA
- 8.0.5 5. PROVIDES EDUCATION FOR NIGERIANS CONCERNING NATION BUILDING
- 8.0.6 6. HELPS THE PUBLIC APPRECIATE NIGERIA’S HISTORY
- 8.0.7 7. BUILD UP NIGERIANS FOR PATRIOTIC DUTIES
- 8.0.8 8. RENDERS VOLUNTARY SOCIAL SERVICES TO THE SOCIETY
- 8.0.9 9. ENCOURAGES MEMBERS TO DISCOVER THEMSELVES
- 8.0.10 10. RENDERING RESCUE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES TO THE SOCIETY
What is Man o war?
The Man o war is a nonprofit voluntary organization of Nigerian youths whose primary aim is to help Nigerians grow, and discover themselves to be useful and better citizens for themselves and the society at large.
When was Man o war established?
Man o war in Nigeria was established in August 1960.
How did it start?
Man o war started in the republic of Cameroon which was till part of Nigeria at that time, there was a gunboat owned by the British Royal Naval force which was anchored on the shore of the bay and there was a move to stop the slave trade and when the slave trade was eventually stopped, the government felt the need to organize its youths and create a center leadership for the youths of Nigeria.
This leadership was thus created at the bay and the gunboat, the place and other criteria was considered to give the popular name we know today as Man o war.
What is the purpose of man o war?
The sole purpose of man o war is to ensure positive development of character in its members and Nigeria youths at large.
What are the benefits of joining Man o war?
Many people fail to acknowledge the benefit of man o war because it is a voluntary work but there are many benefits of joining man o war among which are:
- It helps instill leadership qualities
- It gives room for personal development of character
- It gives you a sense of belonging within the community you find yourself etc,.
What are the strengths of man o war?
The strengths of man o war are listed below:
- Support and patronage from the government
- Unique product
- Quality of staff strength
- Has a size that is okay to handle
- About 8,000 man o war members in post primary schools, higher institutions and community based commands in the country
- International affiliation
- Geo political location of units
- Leadership qualities
- Age long goodwill
What are the functions of man o war Nigeria?
There are numerous functions of man o war but I have highlighted 10 most important functions of man o war which are:
- To enlighten Nigerians on national issues
- Builds up public sentiment towards the Nigerian flag
- Provides education for Nigerians concerning democratic responsibility
- Helps project a positive image of Nigeria
- Provides education for Nigerians concerning nation building
- Helps the public appreciate Nigeria’s history
- Build up Nigerians for patriotic duties
- Renders voluntary social services to the society
- Encourages members to discover themselves
- Rendering rescue and emergency services to the society
See Also: Top 10 Functions Of Commercial Banks
10 Functions Of Man O War Nigeria You Need To Know
1. TO ENLIGHTEN NIGERIANS ON NATIONAL ISSUES
This is one of the most important functions of Man o war, to enlighten Nigeria’s on national issues properly; man o war has been coming together with the Nigerian government as well as free spirited individuals and entities that will work with them selflessly.
This is usually done through workshops, conferences, seminars etc.
2. BUILDS UP PUBLIC SENTIMENT TOWARDS THE NIGERIAN FLAG
This is another duty of the man o war. This is done to enhance total respect and value for the Nigerian flag. It is the duty of the man o war to also to enlighten the public on the right quality and Colour of the Nigerian flag to be flied
3. PROVIDES EDUCATION FOR NIGERIANS CONCERNING DEMOCRATIC RESPONSIBILITY
Providing education for Nigerians concerning democratic responsibility is done by the man o war. To this end, the public are given rational reasons why they should take actions on issues with national importance. They also educate Nigerians on what citizenship entails which is being patriotic.
4. HELPS PROJECT A POSITIVE IMAGE OF NIGERIA
It is the duty of the man o war to help project a positive image of Nigeria. This is to encourage the public to appreciate Nigeria and hope for a better future. This duty is not just carried out in the Nigerian territory but also outside the borders of Nigeria (internationally).
5. PROVIDES EDUCATION FOR NIGERIANS CONCERNING NATION BUILDING
Another very important duty of the man o war is to provide substantial information and education for the general public concerning nation building. It is their job to make Nigerians understand that nation building is not the job of the federal government only but it involves the cooperation of both the government and its citizens as well.
6. HELPS THE PUBLIC APPRECIATE NIGERIA’S HISTORY
It is no longer news that the general public no longer value Nigeria’s history. Thus, it is the job of the man o war to properly reeducate Nigerians to appreciate its history, believe in it as well as appreciate cultural diversities.
7. BUILD UP NIGERIANS FOR PATRIOTIC DUTIES
It is simply a unique function of the man o war that it builds up Nigerians and gets them ready for Patriotic duties. It also teaches Nigerians the supremacy of the Nigerian constitution and educates Nigerians to abide by the constitution.
8. RENDERS VOLUNTARY SOCIAL SERVICES TO THE SOCIETY
It is also the duty of the man o war to render voluntary social services to the society. An expression of this duty is volunteering to clean the gutters or clear bushy communities for the benefit of the community.
9. ENCOURAGES MEMBERS TO DISCOVER THEMSELVES
The functions of man o war is not just limited to the general Nigerian public but it extends by encouraging their member to discover themselves and become useful individuals to themselves and the society at large
10. RENDERING RESCUE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES TO THE SOCIETY
When there is an emergency or rescue situation in the society, it is the duty of the man o war to help the community where it is situated.
We Believe This Article Was Helpful, Don’t Hesitate To Share This Information With Your Friends On Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.