Canada Visa Requirements For Nigerian Citizens – How To Apply For Canadian Visa. In this article,I will show you Canada visa requirements for Nigerian citizens. In addition, discus how to apply for Canadian visa in Nigeria.
Canada is a North American country with ten provinces and three territories extend from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. After Russia, Canada is the second largest country. Blessed with a fascinating land mass, about 75,000 tourists visit Canada every year, making it the world’s most attractive tourist destinations.
Firstly, let’s outline the general requirements for a Canada visa.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Documents Required For Canada Visa In Nigeria
- 2 How To Apply For Canadian Visa In Nigeria
- 3 Canada Online Visa Application
- 4 Canada Study Permit
- 5 Financial document
- 6 Police Character
- 7 Reference/Sponsorship letter
- 8 Proof of Employment
- 9 Types Of Canada visa
- 10 Canada study permit
- 11 Canada Business visa
- 12 Canada Tourist visa
- 13 Canada Visa Application Fee
- 14 How To Apply For Canadian Visa in Nigeria
- 15 Visa Application Centre in Abuja.
- 16 Canadian Visa Application Centre (VFS Global), Lagos
- 17 Canadian Embassy contact details in Nigeria
Documents Required For Canada Visa In Nigeria
Here is the list of visa requirements:
- Passport (Valid for at least 6 months)
- Download Canada Checklist and Fill out the corresponding Canada form.
- Two coloured background photographs
- Proof of visa application fee (receipt) and, if applicable, bio-metric fee
- Recent Bank statement showing sufficient funds for the duration of the trip. The banks statement must not be more than 3 months old
- Travel Itinerary and copy flight reservation
- Recent Medical Statement, if applicable
- Previous passports with visa pages
- Marriage certificate, if married
- Invitation letter from host in Canada if invited
- Proof of ties in Nigeria (i.e. employment letter, investment, proof of businesses or assets and so on)
- For minors under 18 travelling alone will need a letter of authorisation signed by both parents or legal guardians. If travelling with one parent, a letter of authorisation from the non-accompanying parent or legal guardian is required
If you are visiting family or traveling for business you will need an invitation letter detailing the nature of the visit. In addition, your host must give details of the length of stay, host person or nature of business and legal status in the letter.
How To Apply For Canadian Visa In Nigeria
Now, let’s show you how to apply for Canadian visa in Nigeria
- Download the Canada Checklist, Visitor Form (IMM 5257), and Canada Family Form 5645.
- Fill out the application forms correctly on a system and print them out
- Book a date for Canada appointment for biometric / submission.
- Request for VFS consent form and fill. VFS is a third party allowed to collect Canada visa applications and biometric from applicants.
- Pay the visa fees online or in cash at the Canada submission centre.
- Submit your Canada application at the VFS Global (Canada submission centre) for offline process (paper application)
- You are required to pay the service charge if you chose the paper application. A receipt with a unique tracking number which you can use to track the progress of your application online will be issued to you at the centre.
Canada Online Visa Application
- To skip service charges and paper work, submit your Canada visa application online,
- Scan and upload all your documents online.
- Print Out Application. You must print out your Canada visa application after you have successful paid for your application online.
Online application saves you time and money (no service charge) as you will not be required to come with your documents. A waiver form is available, in case you are unable to provide all the required documents.
In addition to the list mentioned above, come along with a copy of your data page, appointment slip and biometric letter, if you opt in for online application.
Recommended: Canada Visa Application | How To Apply (Full Guide)
Canada Study Permit
- Photo. Two passport photographs of yourself, with the name printed on the back, dated and taken in the past 6 months.
- Passport. Original Nigerian e-passport. Previous passport(s) showing travel history is essential.
- Letter of Acceptance. Original and copy of Letter of Acceptance from your educational institute in Canada stating unconditional admission or conditional. You must show you can meet the conditions course title and level of study, duration of study and start date.
- Academic Documents. Originals and copy of present academic standings (up to date transcripts). WAEC/SSCE/NECO results; post-secondary transcripts; all certificates and/or diplomas. You must provide evidence of all current and past education, including the street name address of ALL previous educational institutions that you attended. Include NYSC certificate, if applicable.
Proof of sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses for at least one year in Canada.
In addition to the cost of tuition, you should have at least CAD $10,000 available to cover your living expenses. An additional minimum requirement of CAD $4,000 must be added if a spouse or partner is accompanying the student, as well as CAD $3,000 per accompanying child or other accompanying dependent. Evidence includes:
- Original plus one copy of certified bank statement(s) or financial investments with past six month’s history including your submission month or ending one month prior.
- You must also show a reliable source of funds for the duration of your academic program.
- You may also submit financial documents related to a valid pension plan or proof of income from rental properties or stocks and bonds.
Payment of Tuition fees is not required at time of application submission. After positive processing of the Student application, proof of tuition payment may be required prior to the issue of a Visa. Official Fee Schedule includes tuition, accommodations and meal plans, miscellaneous expenses (medical insurance, books, memberships).
Original Police clearance certificates obtained from C.I.D Headquarters for the applicant and any accompanying family member above 18 years. Also, certificates are required for each of the countries in which they stayed more than 6 months since they turned 18.
From the individual(s) providing you financial assistance for your program. The letter must indicate their employment, occupation, relationship to you, number of dependents and full contact details.
In case of extended family member sponsorship, include proof of relationship. Proof such as family tree, photos, proof of prior financial support of your education to date if applicable and other helpful documents.
If your employer intends to sponsor, employer contact details and Full Street address of business location are compulsory.
Proof of Employment
- Proof of Business if you are self-employed. Provide business registration, tax clearance certificates, trade certificates, license and financial documents. (Certified business bank statement with 6 months history up to application submission date).
- Proof of employment– letter from your current or past employer and pay slips (last 3 months). Employment letter dated within 2 months of the application indicating occupation, job description, position, salary, allowances, dates of employment, and authorized leave dates.
Types Of Canada visa
We have shown you have to apply for Canada visa in Nigeria. Let’s quickly highlight the type of Canada visa available.
|Visa Types||Processing Time||Validity|
|Study Permit||38days to 4months||Valid for the period of study plus an extra 90 days|
|Business Visa||38days to 4months||The embassy determines the visa validity|
|Tourist Visa||38days to 4months||The embassy determines the visa validity|
|Work Permit||12weeks to 6month||Initial work permit is valid for 24 months|
Canada study permit
Canada study permit allows you to study in Canada. You need acceptance letter, evidence of school fees, transcript for Master programme and sponsor’s bank statement (if applicable). With Canada study permit, you can take up some stipends while studying. This visa gives you access to invite your family to Canada for a visit.
Canada Business visa
Canada business visa is mainly for business purpose and it does not give you the right to invite any one to Canada. It is a temporary visa. Embassy determines the visa validity. You will need an invitation letter from your host or organiser of an event or conference.
Canada Tourist visa
Likewise, Canada tourist visa is a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) that allows foreigners to gain entry into Canada for tourism purpose. You cannot invite any one to Canada with Canada tourist visa. And you are not permitted to work in Canada, if you hold a Canada tourist visa.
Canada Visa Application Fee
Canada visa fees are non-refundable. The fees below do not include biometric fees.
The fees listed are in Canadian dollars (CAN$).
|Study permit (including extensions)||$150|
|Work permit (including extensions)||$155|
|Work permit – maximum fee for groups of performing artists and their staff||$100|
|Visitor visa – single entry or multiple entry (including extensions)||$100|
|Visitor visa – maximum fee for family||$500|
|Visitor record (including extensions)||$75|
In addition to the regular visa fees above, a biometric fee of $85 CAD per person will apply. However, families applying together for a visitor visa (TRV) will only pay a maximum biometric fee of up to $170 CAD.
How To Apply For Canadian Visa in Nigeria
Canadian Visa Processing Time
The Canadian visa takes quite a while for decision to be reached. However, the waiting time is based on the type of visa and backlogs. Canadian study visa could take as long as 16 weeks (4 months) and applications for a visitor visa takes an average of 72 days.
Canada Submission Centres In Nigeria
In conclusion, Canada Visa Application Centres are available for Canada biometric and submission. To sum up, here are the centres in Nigeria,
Visa Application Centre in Abuja.
|Address:||Silverbird Entertainment Centre, Plot 1161, Memorial Drive,Central Business District, Abuja|
|Telephone:||(234) 815 019 9900|
|Hours:||Monday to Friday 8 AM – 3 PM|
Canadian Visa Application Centre (VFS Global), Lagos
|Address:||Manor Hall, Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way,Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I – Lagos|
|Telephone:||(234) 815 019 9900|
|Hours:||Monday to Friday 8 AM – 3 PM|
Canadian Embassy contact details in Nigeria
|Address:||Canadian Deputy High Commission, Immigration Section. 4 Anifowoshe Street. Victoria Island, Lagos|
|Telephone:||(234 1) 262-2512/13/15
|Hours:||Monday to Friday 8 AM – 3 PM|
|Address:||High Commission of Canada to Nigeria, 13010G, Palm close, Diplomatic Drive. Central Business District, Abuja|
|Telephone:||(011 234 9) 461-2900|
|Fax:||(011 234 9) 461-2901|
This post is about Canada visa requirements for Nigerian citizens and How to apply for Canadian visa in Nigeria.
We Believe This Article Was Helpful, Don’t Hesitate To Share This Information With Your Friends On Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us via This Means to file a complaint & actions will be taken immediately.